Indian rupee down 16 paise vs US dollar in early trade
Indian rupee today lost 16 paise to 54.59 against the dollar in early trade on the Interbank Foreign Exchange due to continued capital outflows and increased demand from importers for the US currency.
Besides, dollar's gains against euro overseas also put pressure on the rupee.
Dealers attributed the rupee's fall to increased capital outflows by foreign funds and a lower opening in the stock market.
The rupee had weakened by 17 paise to close at three- week low of 54.43 a dollar in yesterday's trade.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex was down by 172.94 points, or 0.92 per cent, at 18,628.70 in early trade today.
- Permissions for clinical trials delayed, bio pharma firms plan to leave country
- Davis Cup: Sanam to play against South Korean today
- Extension of lal dora, regularisation of changes in CHB houses… parties take due note of people’s agenda
- Modi steers clear of Muzaffarnagar
- Actor Jaaved Jaaferi reluctant to play Muslim card in Lucknow
- Royals set to miss home games as India leg of IPL 7 begins May 2