Indian rupee down 16 paise vs US dollar in early trade
The rupee today lost 16 paise to 54.59 against the dollar in early trade on the Interbank Foreign Exchange due to continued capital outflows and increased demand from importers for the US currency.
Besides, dollar's gains against euro overseas also put pressure on the rupee.
Dealers attributed the rupee's fall to increased capital outflows by foreign funds and a lower opening in the stock market.
The rupee had weakened by 17 paise to close at three- week low of 54.43 a dollar in yesterday's trade.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex was down by 172.94 points, or 0.92 per cent, at 18,628.70 in early trade today.
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota
- ‘Start political revolution by defeating Rahul, Modi’
- Count of Monte Carlo: Wawrinka tames master, becomes one