For Mumbai attack mass murder, US govt seeks 35 years jail term for David Headley
- Navy Chief DK Joshi takes responsibility for spate of accidents, resigns
- TRS gives jitters to Congress post Telangana creation, says merger unlikely
- SC orders arrest of Sahara chief Subrata Roy, says âarms of court very longâ
- KLF terrorist Bhullar will not be executed in present health condition, Centre tells SC
- Paswan, who left NDA over Modi, signals tie-up with BJP for ânew optionâ
The United States has sought a jail term of 30 to 35 years for American born Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist David Headley for his role in Mumbai attack and other terror activities.
"The government submits that a sentence of 30 to 35 year's imprisonment strikes a fair and just balance between the aggravating and mitigating factors applicable to Headley."
"While there is no question that his criminal conduct was deplorable, his decision to cooperate, and the uniquely significant value that cooperation has provided to the government's efforts to combat terrorism, support the government's recommendation," Attorney Gary S Shapiro said in a 20-page governments position-paper as to sentencing factor related to Headley.
The US government's seeking 30-35 years imprisonment for Headley is far less than when compared to what it had sought for Tahawwur Hussain Rana, who has held guilty by a federal grand jury for providing material support to Lashkar-e-Toiba and planning a terrorist attack against a Danish newspaper in Copenhagen.
Last week, the court sentenced him for 14 years followed by five years of supervised release.
"Headley played an essential role in the planning of a horrific terrorist attack," the US Government said, adding that his advance surveillance in India contributed to the deaths of approximately 164 men, women, and children, and injuries to hundreds more.
"Undeterred by the shocking images of death and destruction that came out of Mumbai in November 2008, Headley traveled to Denmark less than two months later to advance a plan to commit another terrorist attack," the US attorney said.
Headley played important role in 26/11 mass murder: US
Washington: Even though Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley played a supportive role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, but it was unquestionably an essential role contributing to the mass murder, the United States said.
- Didi opens front against ‘Congress-BJP syndicate’
- CBI suggests stern action but UT admn not in mood to follow
- 2 constables injured as gun misfires
- Police suspect Esther made ‘pretend call’ at Kurla station
- ‘Arrested Customs official had smuggled gold at least 8 times in the past’
- In first online auto permit lottery in state, winners take it all