US knew of ISI tie-up with Tiger Memon: WikiLeaks
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
The US officials knew for a very long time that ISI had created various terrorist groups, including those based out from Nepal, to carry out attacks in India, including the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast, according to the latest US cables released by WikiLeaks.
The US cables clearly show that Americans also knew that Tiger Memon, the prime accused in 1993 Mumbai blast case and an aide of global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, had tied up with the ISI.
In these cables, the US officials say that it is the ISI which created various terrorist fronts to carry out terror activities in India, including the bomb blasts in the busy areas of Connaught Place and Lajpat Nagar in New Delhi and several cities across the country.
One of such organisations created by ISI in Pakistan was Jammu and Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF), with its main base in Kathmandu, Nepal.
"To dispatch men and material and to execute explosions in India, Kathmandu was invariably made the nodal point and JKIF exploited the vulnerable Kathmandu-based Kashmiri businessmen for such activities since they had a ready-made and clean past. JKIF kingpin Javed Krawah himself used to run a carpet business in Kathmandu," said the US cable signed off by none other than the then US Ambassador to India, Frank Wisner.
The JKIF, says the cable dated July 8, 1997, was controlled from Pakistan by ISI and Memon.
"Their contact in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir was Bilal Beg, who was running an indoctrination camp near Muzaffarabad, funded extensively by the ISI to carry out terrorist acts in India.
''One Colonel Farooq of Pakistan ISI tasked Bilal Beg and Tiger Memon to utilize Kathmandu-based activists Lateef and Javed Krawah to set off blasts in Delhi before the Lok Sabha elections," it said.
In May 21, 1996; this JKIF team set off a very high intensity explosion at Lajpat Nagar, in which 13 persons were killed and 40 injured.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first