US knew of ISI tie-up with Tiger Memon: WikiLeaks
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi has lowered the standard of political discourse in the country, says Chavan
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs SRH: KXIP set for another big total as Maxwell punishes SRH
The US officials knew for a very long time that ISI had created various terrorist groups, including those based out from Nepal, to carry out attacks in India, including the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast, according to the latest US cables released by WikiLeaks.
The US cables clearly show that Americans also knew that Tiger Memon, the prime accused in 1993 Mumbai blast case and an aide of global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, had tied up with the ISI.
In these cables, the US officials say that it is the ISI which created various terrorist fronts to carry out terror activities in India, including the bomb blasts in the busy areas of Connaught Place and Lajpat Nagar in New Delhi and several cities across the country.
One of such organisations created by ISI in Pakistan was Jammu and Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF), with its main base in Kathmandu, Nepal.
"To dispatch men and material and to execute explosions in India, Kathmandu was invariably made the nodal point and JKIF exploited the vulnerable Kathmandu-based Kashmiri businessmen for such activities since they had a ready-made and clean past. JKIF kingpin Javed Krawah himself used to run a carpet business in Kathmandu," said the US cable signed off by none other than the then US Ambassador to India, Frank Wisner.
The JKIF, says the cable dated July 8, 1997, was controlled from Pakistan by ISI and Memon.
"Their contact in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir was Bilal Beg, who was running an indoctrination camp near Muzaffarabad, funded extensively by the ISI to carry out terrorist acts in India.
''One Colonel Farooq of Pakistan ISI tasked Bilal Beg and Tiger Memon to utilize Kathmandu-based activists Lateef and Javed Krawah to set off blasts in Delhi before the Lok Sabha elections," it said.
In May 21, 1996; this JKIF team set off a very high intensity explosion at Lajpat Nagar, in which 13 persons were killed and 40 injured.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready