US Marines drink cobra blood in Thailand forest training exercise
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
A female Marine drank blood of a dead cobra during a military training exercise in jungles in Thailand.
The US soldier is one of around 13,000 taking part in Cobra Gold 2013, an annual, multi-national military training programme that incorporates jungle survival techniques.
According to the Daily Mail, after being taught how to kill the venomous snakes by Thai naval instructors, the Marines were given the option of experiencing a local custom that was drinking the animals' blood.
Many of the Marines appeared unperturbed at the prospect of drinking cobra blood, which is sold as an aphrodisiac in parts of Eastern Asia.
The U.S. Marines were taking part in Cobra Gold 13 alongside Thai military personnel and soldiers from five other countries— Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since