US slimming school helping students shed nearly 100lbs in one semester
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
A boarding school in Bluffton, South Carolina, is helping children fight obesity by including exercises, studies, working with counsellors and learning how to cook healthy meals in their semesters.
Mindstream Academy, whose slogan is 'Where Teens Fit,' caters to overweight middle and high school students, who are serious about getting healthy but not missing class, ABC News reported.
The slimming school offers a wide range of activities, from Zumba to horseback riding.
According to the school's website, a typical day at the school begins with stretching, followed by a light half-mile walk or run around the lake.
Students then go to classes and have a pre-lunch workout, like martial arts, that helps them to focus on proper mechanics, the school said.
During the mid-afternoon, classes break-up for team sports activities, like football or kick ball.
In the evening, a leisure walk around campus or a pick-up game of basketball rounds up the day.
The academy recently helped a dozen students from Missouri school district lose a combined weight of 756 pounds.
Sarah Stone, the director of programming at MindStream told the Daily Mail that they hope to engage other school districts in similar partnerships in the future.
She said that it was for their best interest that the obese kids were able to realize their best potential.