US slimming school helping students shed nearly 100lbs in one semester
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
A boarding school in Bluffton, South Carolina, is helping children fight obesity by including exercises, studies, working with counsellors and learning how to cook healthy meals in their semesters.
Mindstream Academy, whose slogan is 'Where Teens Fit,' caters to overweight middle and high school students, who are serious about getting healthy but not missing class, ABC News reported.
The slimming school offers a wide range of activities, from Zumba to horseback riding.
According to the school's website, a typical day at the school begins with stretching, followed by a light half-mile walk or run around the lake.
Students then go to classes and have a pre-lunch workout, like martial arts, that helps them to focus on proper mechanics, the school said.
During the mid-afternoon, classes break-up for team sports activities, like football or kick ball.
In the evening, a leisure walk around campus or a pick-up game of basketball rounds up the day.
The academy recently helped a dozen students from Missouri school district lose a combined weight of 756 pounds.
Sarah Stone, the director of programming at MindStream told the Daily Mail that they hope to engage other school districts in similar partnerships in the future.