US to host special Copa America in 2016
- In Dadri, BJP's Sangeet Som accuses UP govt of framing innocent men for lynching incident
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says doctor
- Shashank Manohar unanimously elected as new BCCI president
- Non-declarants of foreign assets to be tried under black money law: FM
- Bihar polls: 130 candidates with serious criminal charges to contest in first phase
South American football's governing body CONMEBOL said it will stage a special Copa America tournament in the United States in 2016 to mark the organisation's centenary.
The competition will include the ten teams from South America plus Mexico, the United States and four others from CONCACAF, the federation for North and Central America and the Caribbean.
"In July 2016, CONMEBOL will celebrate its first century.
In order to commemorate it with the pomp it deserves, the association presidents and members of the executive committee have decided to hold a tournament with nations across the Americas," said a statement from the South American federation yesterday.
The event is set for July and will take place between the 2015 and 2019 Copa America tournaments, CONMEBOL said.