'US will stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons at any cost'
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
"Our red line is that we will not allow Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon. The President has made clear --publicly and privately --that we reject the policy of containment, because of the consequences of a nuclear-armed Iran for Israel, for the region, for the non-proliferation regime, and for the world," Deputy National Security Adviser, Ben Rhodes told reporters yesterday.
"He (Obama) has made clear that we will do what we must to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, and that means we're looking at all options, including military options. So the President has been clear on both his red line and on his approach as it relates to preventing Iran from getting a nuclear weapon," Rhodes said in response to a question.
"What's also the case is we believe it's preferable to solve the issue peacefully, both because diplomacy can yield a more lasting solution if you can get an assurance that a nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes. Also because there certainly costs that would be involved with any military action," he said.
The Obama Administration, Rhodes said, believes that there is "a window" to resolve this diplomatically.
"We have the world united in putting in place the toughest sanctions Iran has ever faced. We have a P5-plus-1 process where we're currently in discussions with the Iranians about their nuclear programme," Rhodes said.
"And so we want to use the time and space that we have available and the pressure that we've applied on the Iranian government to reach a peaceful, diplomatic solution," he said.
Rhodes said that the Iranian government should know from the President's public comments already that he's serious about preventing them from getting a nuclear weapon, that he does not make those assurances without a commitment to follow
through on them.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2