USS Enterprise carrier taken out of active service
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
Enterprise was headed back to Virginia following a regularly scheduled deployment when the Sep 11, 2001, terrorist attacks happened. As soon as the ship's captain saw
the attacks he turned around without orders to steam toward southwest Asia, where it later launched some of the first attacks against Taliban-ruled Afghanistan. The ship's captain was Adm. James A. Winnefeld, who now serves as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.