UT urged to make streets safer for cyclists as 2 already killed this year
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Rishi Ram, a resident of Dadu Majra who works in Sector 34 and commutes on a bicycle said, "I am always very careful while going to work and coming back. I use the cycle track where ever I find one. We have to be careful as other are not bothered by the presence of a cyclist on the road."
Parmod Sharma, coordinator of Yuvsatta said, "Chandigarh residents and administration are ignorant about rights of a cyclists on the roads. Especially the drivers of four wheelers are insensitive about a cyclist. Also, none of the cycle tracks is in a proper condition. Some have broken roads and almost all do not have street lights on cycle tracks for commuting at night."
He also added, "20 cyclists are dying each year because of road accidents and people do not care, it shows how much we are concerned for them and their rights."