V K Singh praises Musharraf 'courage' in Kargil war
- Elections 2014 Live: Trinamool Congress workers beat up election officials in West Bengal
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
Singh, who headed the Army from 2010 to 2012, said there were "mistakes" on the Indian side that allowed Pakistani troops to cross over into Indian territory and let Musharraf go back safely.
"As far as General Musharraf is concerned, I would like to put it in two ways. One, as a military commander, I would commend Gen Musharraf for coming 11 km (inside Indian territory) to stay with his troops for a night. It is the courage of a military commander that he came so far knowing that there was danger," Singh said here. "Second, what was happening on our side you all know and facts are before you. Why did we allow him to go? Why did we allow them to enter? I would only say that there were some mistakes, which need to be rectified."
Singh was commenting on the revelation by a senior retired officer of Pakistan Army that Musharraf had stayed for a night inside Indian territory with his troops before the three-month conflict erupted in Kargil in 1999. Col (retd) Ashfaq Hussain, who was in the Pakistan Army's media arm, said Musharraf flew across the LoC on March 28, 1999, and travelled 11 km into the Indian side. He was accompanied by Brig Masood Aslam, then commander of 80 Brigade, spent the night at a spot called Zikria Mustaqar, where Pakistani troops commanded by Col Amjad Shabbir were present.
Singh said the revelation was just a confirmation that Pakistan had started the war. "What happened in 1999, we including the Indian Army know that Pakistan Army had started the Kargil war," he said.
Hurriyat against Amarnath schedule
The hardline Hurriyat Conference, led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Friday opposed the 55-day yatra schedule announced by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), saying its advisory board would meet shortly to discuss all aspects of the decision and chalk out a strategy. "The Hurriyat outrightly rejects the 2013 Amarnath yatra schedule," amalgam spokesman Ayaz Akbar said. The SASB, which met under the chairmanship of Governor N N Vohra in Delhi on Thursday, said the devotees would commence the 55-day yatra on June 28 this year, extending the period of the pilgrimage from 37 days last year. The Hurriyat Conference has been demanding curtailment of the yatra on the plea that the rush of pilgrims impacts the ecology of the region.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi