Vacant berth status to be announced at New Delhi rly station
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Here's good news for those making last-minute travel plans. Even after the final chart of a train is made, if there are vacant seats, the seat availability information will be announced at regular intervals at the New Delhi Railway station from May 1.
So far, such information was available on the official Facebook page of Delhi Division, Northern Railway, which had a limited reach.
To make the system popular, Northern Railway has developed a software that will integrate the relevant information with the existing announcement system at the New Delhi Railway station. At present, only train arrival and departure and positioning of coaches on a platform is announced. From May 1, the seat availability information will also be announced.Display boards across the station will also show the updates.
Divisional Railway Manager, Northern Railway, Ashwani Lohani said, "We will link the same data to an automated announcement system that will make regular announcements on the public address system. A pilot project will begin from May 1 at the New Delhi station and if this is successful we will extend it to other stations."