Vacant posts in distt consumer fora: HC sets Jan 31 deadline
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Pulling up the state government over its laidback attitude in filling vacancies in consumer redressal fora across the state, the Bombay HC Thursday directed it to fill vacant posts by January 31.
In a PIL filed by the Mumbai Grahak Panchayat, it was contended that of the 40 district consumer forums in the state, 19 had ceased functioning owing to vacant posts including those of forum presidents.
According to an affidavit by the registrar of the consumer redressal commission, of the 40 posts of presidents of district forums in Maharashtra, 34 are vacant and there are 55 vacancies in the posts for non-judicial members. The affidavit stated that interviews have already been held for filling the posts of presidents.
A division bench of acting Chief Justice D D Sinha and Justice K K Tated told the state government that in the event of a member retiring, the government must issue advertisements for filling posts three months before the retirement.
The court was peeved by the registrar's request for more time to fill vacant posts.
The state government has been asked to issue appointment orders within three weeks of completing the selection process.