Vadodara BJP MP backs LGBT community on SC verdict
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions
- Nandan Nilekani, Mohammad Kaif in Congressâs first list for 194 seats
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Kejriwal joins list of VIPs with âZâ category security
Even while BJP came out in support of the Supreme Court verdict, upholding Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) that criminalises homosexuality, its MP from Vadodara, Balkrishna Shukla, made it clear that though he would not deviate from line taken by his party on the issue, he is nevertheless driven by his personal opinion that the rights of an individual should not be infringed upon by anyone.
Shukla was on Saturday speaking from the site of the demonstration that was organised by gay activists and members of the LGBT community, in association with the Lakshya Foundation.
Party president Rajnath Singh had earlier made it clear that his party supports re-criminalisation of homosexuality. However, on Saturday, while accepting a memorandum submitted by the LGBT community members, Shukla said he respected the sentiments of these people.
"As the BJP MP, I am bound follow the party policy. But as an MP, if somebody keeps his matter before me, I am bound to take that up. I find that the verdict infringes on the rights of an individual, and therefore, as a sensitive person, I support the sentiments of the LGBT community," Shukla said.
- Priest Murder Case: Two more priests take narco test
- Nilekani gets Cong nod for B’lore South
- Independents, smaller parties throng Ralegan Siddhi for Hazare’s support
- 12 MPs retained as BJP announces first state list
- Modi’s Chai pe Charcha part II a women’s day out
- Thank God I am not killed in encounter, says Kejriwal