Vadodara civic body to elect dy mayor today
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
The deputy mayor and standing committee chairman of Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) are likely to be re-elected to their respective posts at twin meetings of general board and standing committee on Saturday, ending speculations of change to assuage discontent among local leaders post Assembly elections.
"Incumbent deputy mayor Harjivan Parbadia and chairman of the standing committee Vijay Shah are most likely to get one more term each on Saturday. This formula has been adopted in civic bodies in Ahmedabad, Jamnagar and Rajkot also," a top leader of city BJP unit told the Indian Express on Friday, on condition of anonymity. "However, coordination committee of the party will take a final call on the two posts at its meeting later on Friday evening," the leader further said.