Vadodara gets another cricket academy
- Mamata seeks clarification on transfer orders after Election Commission's warning on cancellation of polls
- Bihar: BJP attacks Nitish over CRPF officer's death, calls for probe
- BJP's election manifesto is for, by and of Narendra Modi
- First phase of Lok Sabha elections: High turnout in two N-E states
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress may announce its candidate against Modi from Varanasi today
Vadodara may now soon be called the Special Cricketing Zone. The city got another cricket academy on Saturday when the Veteran Cricket Association (VCA), Vadodara, and the Postal Training Centre announced their "speed post cricket academy" to nurture the young cricketers of the city.
The academy is located at Mor Baug near Harni Airport.The city already houses two full-fledged cricket academies, run by former India Vice-Captain and wicket keeper Kiran More (KMICA), and the other by legendary all-rounder Mohinder Amarnath, besides at least three to four other cricket Gymkhanas. The Pathan brothers, Yusuf and Irfan, have also reportedly shown their willingness to set up a cricket academy in the city.
The new academy, set in a picturesque location on a piece of land held by the Postal Training Institute in the eastern part of the city, will be fully-equipped to train around 200 cricketers in six different age groups.
Satyajit Gaekwad, joint secretary, VCA said: "We have coaches of international and national standards who will help in nurturing the talent of the young cricketers."
On being asked whether the academy will compete with the Baroda Cricket Association run-academy, Gaekwad said: "We are not competing with anyone. VCA is present in other states too and they have been getting support from the local associations. We are not competing with BCA. In fact, we will give trained and talented cricketers to BCA, who will make Baroda proud in national and international cricketing events."
He added that former India coach Anshuman Gaekwad will guide other International and Ranji players to teach the young generation. "The coaches include Vikram Hazare, Dashrath Pardesi and others," he said.
- 4-yr-old sexually assaulted by school bus attendant
- 65 lakh voters register in Pune district
- Candidates declare assets, Ayali has property worth Rs 16.86 cr
- Chaos at DC office as heavyweights file papers
- Culex vishnui mosquito is now breeding in city, finds PGI survey
- Over 6 lakh registered voters in city