Vadodara Marathon plans midnight run for women
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
To symbolise the safe environment in the state and particularly in the city, Vadodara Marathon (VM) will organise a first-of-its kind midnight run for women in the city in coming months.
Making the announcement, chairperson of VM Tejal Amin said, "The objective of the midnight run is to address the environment that has been created post Nirbhaya case (the gangrape and murder of a woman in a moving bus in Delhi last month). We want to highlight the issue of safety of women and the safe environment for them in the city."
Vadodara Marathon is a city-based non-profit organisation which organises international half-marathon every year in the city.
"The midnight run would start at 00:00 hours and it would be seven kilometre long. City police commissioner has given his verbal permission for the run and we are in the process of completing formalities to get a formal police consent," Amin said.
The VM chairperson said they would come up with a detailed plan for the run in next 10 days. "We are yet to finalise the starting point and route of the run," she added. Women above the age of 12 will be eligible to take part in the run and registration fee would be Rs 400. The run would also the first in a series to be organised in the build-up to the international half-marathon to be held in December.