Vaghela almost joined BJP in 2009, NCP in 2011
- PM silent on One Rank One Pension, upset defence veterans plan nation-wide agitation
- Relentless heatwave continues, death toll rises to nearly 700
- 'Manmohan Singh warned me of harm if I did not cooperate on 2G issue'
- BJP MLA marshalled out of Delhi Assembly for criticising Speaker
- Bypolls to 6 seats in 5 states on June 27, Jaya to contest on one
Shankersinh Vaghela, in-charge of the Congress's campaign for the Gujarat assembly polls, nearly quit the party to join the NCP last year. And in 2009, the man who was UPA-I's textiles minister, came very close to accepting the BJP ticket for the Lok Sabha election.
Vaghela, now chairman of ITDC, told The Indian Express that he wanted to leave the Congress because he did not agree with their ways, and was unhappy that his own party had sabotaged his campaign in 2009. Vaghela lost the Panchmahal seat to the BJP by a narrow 2,081 votes.
"I was going (to the BJP in 2009), I am saying openly," Vaghela told The Indian Express. He said he was still unhappy: "I feel that (the Congress) party should be readying its candidates if not a year, at least six months in advance. It is barely six months to the (assembly) polls, where are the candidates? My displeasure still stands."