Vaghela almost joined BJP in 2009, NCP in 2011
- Coal scam: SC stays summons for Ex-PM Manmohan Singh, P C Parakh, K M Birla
- Leave Delhi: That’s what doctors are prescribing to patients with serious respiratory ailments
- Poster girl of India's tobacco battle Sunita Tomar dies
- Re-promulgation of land ordinance with 9 changes gets Cabinet nod
- Panic spreads as more rain forecast for Valley today
Shankersinh Vaghela, in-charge of the Congress's campaign for the Gujarat assembly polls, nearly quit the party to join the NCP last year. And in 2009, the man who was UPA-I's textiles minister, came very close to accepting the BJP ticket for the Lok Sabha election.
Vaghela, now chairman of ITDC, told The Indian Express that he wanted to leave the Congress because he did not agree with their ways, and was unhappy that his own party had sabotaged his campaign in 2009. Vaghela lost the Panchmahal seat to the BJP by a narrow 2,081 votes.
"I was going (to the BJP in 2009), I am saying openly," Vaghela told The Indian Express. He said he was still unhappy: "I feel that (the Congress) party should be readying its candidates if not a year, at least six months in advance. It is barely six months to the (assembly) polls, where are the candidates? My displeasure still stands."