Vaghela files nomination
- Facebook Townhall: PM Modi breaks down into tears while talking about his mother
- Google welcomes PM Modi at its headquarters in California
- PM Modi's top 10 quotes from Facebook Townhall
- Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed passes away in Mumbai's Lilavati Hospital
- Police order probe after meat found outside 4 temples in Jharkhand
Senior Congress leader and former Chief Minister Shankersinh Vaghela returned to Kheda district on Friday as he filed his nomination papers for Kapadvanj constituency.
Vaghela was accompanied by sitting Kapadvanj MLA Manibhai Patel, Thasra MLA and chairman of Amul Dairy Ramsinh Parmar, Balasinor MLA Mansinh Chauhan, district Congress chief Bharatsinh Parmar and hundreds of party workers.
"As Bapu (a Vaghela is popularly known) expressed his desire to contest from Kapadvanj, Manibhai Patel and other three contenders, including myself, backed down and assured him of a victory," said Rajesh Zala, Kheda district Youth Congress president.
Vaghela's association with Kapadvanj dates back to 1977 when he had contested in the Lok Sabha polls for the first time as a candidate of the then Bhartiya Lok Dal. He had defeated Natvarsinh Thakor of the Congress by over 60,000 votes.
However, his visit to the district was marred by protests by party workers in Nadiad over denial of ticket to veteran Shankarbhai Vaghela, a five-time MLA.
Supporters of Shankarbhai gathered in front of the bungalow of Kheda MP Dinsha Patel and raised slogans against him. They dispersed after police reached the spot.