Vaghela loyalist goes back to BJP, gets ticket
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
The BJP on Wednesday declared Girish Parmar as its candidate for the SC-reserved Dani Limda seat hours after he quit the Congress and joined the ruling party.
Parmar, who was a minister in the Shankersinh Vaghela government and vice-of the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee, joined back the BJP after a gap of 14 years along with two former Congress councillors and some office-bearers of the Ahmedadabad city Congress unit.
Parmar, who was welcomed in the BJP by state unit vice-president Kaushik Patel, said he took the decision to quit the Congress with a "heavy heart and sadness" after unsuccessfully toiling there the rights of Dalits. "I have changed my disha (direction) to change dasha (condition) of Gujarat by rejoining the BJP. I did not want anything in that party but wanted justice for my Dalit society," he said, punning on the Congress slogan.
Parmar said he had not joined politics as he wanted power to serve the Dalits.
"I am also entitled to have my own ambitions and aspirations and for that I go by what Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar said: 'if you want to serve your community, you must assume power first'," he said.
Asked if he would continue his fight against the state government for the Thangadh firing episode, Parmar said his fight against injustice to Dalits would go on unhindered, be it Thangadh killings or any other incident.
On the immediate cause of quitting the Congress, he said the party had been dilly-dallying on the decision about Danilimda Assembly seat. "Danilimda is a reserved seat but they are deciding in favour of a person (Shailesh Parmar) who is not a Dalit. He (Shailesh) is a Marwadi Mochi of Rajasthan origin who are not recognised in Gujarat as Dalits. He has used fake certificate to usurp the rights and powers meant for Dalits," he said, adding, "We brought this matter to the notice of party leaders and that he is also facing court cases over this, but Congress leaders just would not listen..."
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer