Attorney General Vahanvati gets hoax call from 'Sonia', investigation on
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
Attorney General Goolam E Vahanvati has lodged a complaint with the Delhi Police over a hoax call he received from a woman imitating Congress president Sonia Gandhi. Sources in police said the woman, claiming to be Gandhi and calling from New York, where the Congress president had actually gone for a medical check-up, spoke to the AG about some high profile cases in the Supreme Court.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde told reporters here that Delhi Police has begun a preliminary inquiry into the call and a case would be registered soon.
Sources in Delhi Police said a woman claiming to be one Anita Gupta, "secretary" to the Congress president, called the AG's office in the Supreme Court on September 5 and wanted to speak to him.
As the AG was busy with some cases, including the coal blocks allocation case, he couldn't take the call despite her calling thrice. Finally, she managed to speak to Vahanvati at his residence in the evening. Police inquiries have revealed that the landline phone from where the call allegedly originated is installed in the office of a senior female employee of a public sector undertaking.
After a few days, the AG allegedly received a call from somebody impersonating Sonia Gandhi, who reportedly sounded unhappy over what she said was his handling of several crucial and high profile cases, including those related to coal blocks allocation. Sonia had left for abroad on September 2 and returned on September 11.
Sources in Delhi Police said a team from the Economic Offences Wing visited the AG's residence and questioned his staff. The police are trying to find out if the hoax call was an attempt to influence the coal blocks allocation case or some other important cases.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held