Vaju Vala named ‘pro tem’ Speaker
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal attacks 'helicopter politics' of Modi and Gandhis; Priyanka says others misguiding voters
- SC sets up panel to frame guidelines for government ads ahead of polls
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Former state finance minister and one of BJP's most senior MLAs, Vajubhai Vala, was selected as the "pro tem" Speaker of the new state Assembly Wednesday.
Following the resignation of Ganpat Vasava as the Speaker of the last assembly, Vala was selected as the presiding officer of the House until a new Speaker is elected.
Vasava took oath as Cabinet minister in the 17-member council headed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In the wake of his inclusion in the cabinet, Vasava tendered his resignation from the Speaker's post and the seven-time BJP MLA from Rajkot was selected as "pro tem" Speaker.
When Modi took oath as chief minister of the state for the fourth time in a row, everyone was surprised when Vala was dropped from the list of ministers who were sworn in along with Modi.
As Gujarat's finance minster, Vala has a record of presenting the state budget 18 times.
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry