Vaju Vala named ‘pro tem’ Speaker
- Independence Day Narendra Modi speech LIVE: PM addresses price rise to progress
- Narendra Modi speech Independence Day 2016: Transparency seems to be highlight, says processes simplified
- CRPF officer killed as militants attack police station in Srinagar
- Rio Olympics 2016: Dipa Karmakar's Produnova does India proud
- Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech packs a few subtle hints after the hard messages
Former state finance minister and one of BJP's most senior MLAs, Vajubhai Vala, was selected as the "pro tem" Speaker of the new state Assembly Wednesday.
Following the resignation of Ganpat Vasava as the Speaker of the last assembly, Vala was selected as the presiding officer of the House until a new Speaker is elected.
Vasava took oath as Cabinet minister in the 17-member council headed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In the wake of his inclusion in the cabinet, Vasava tendered his resignation from the Speaker's post and the seven-time BJP MLA from Rajkot was selected as "pro tem" Speaker.
When Modi took oath as chief minister of the state for the fourth time in a row, everyone was surprised when Vala was dropped from the list of ministers who were sworn in along with Modi.
- Indians are more free than when the British left, but less free than what the framers of our Constitution hoped us to be.
- Gujarat Dalits’ move to quit ‘menial jobs’ in protest has a precedent in UP
- Ravana in Uttar Pradesh: Nayanjot Lahiri
- PM Modi needs to move from slogans to action to transform agriculture
- Nepal: The politician-activist-donor nexus dominates the appointment of judges
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages