Valour and colour on parade
- LIVE: Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken away for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
With more people turning up to watch the parade than could be accommodated, the entry to the galleries, particularly enclosure 23, which is directly opposite the Presidential enclosure, was stopped for a while.
This year's 19 tableaux —14 from states and five from ministries — told the story of scientific advancements and cultural heritage of the country. The tableau from Jammu and Kashmir showcased the contribution of modern science to the traditional handicraft industry of Pashmina shawl-making. Recently, the scientists in Kashmir cloned the first ever Pashmina goat 'Noori' to revive the dying industry.
The tableau of the I&B Ministry, 'Celebrating 100 years of Indian cinema', drew loud cheers from the crowd. The tableau, Cinema Mayur Pankhi, pays respects to numerous landmark movies, legendary musicians, singers and actors.
The next to follow was a breathtaking dare-devil motorcycle performance by 135-member Army Service Corps' team, Tornadoes.
The grand finale of the parade was the spectacular flypast by the IAF. The flypast was led by a Vic formation of three Mi-35 helicopters, followed by the three Super Hercules, again in a Vic formation, and by C-130J Super Hercules aircraft.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students