Varun offers house to Anna for protests
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
With the Delhi Police denying permission for Anna Hazare's month-long protest at Jantar Mantar, BJP MP Varun Gandhi today offered him his official residence at 125 South Avenue here.
Stating that the "refusal of permission for a public demonstration" is "indicative of an elected government's readiness to wage war with its own electorate over the Lokpal institution," Varun said "if the government does not offer a public place for Anna Hazare's fast, I am proud to offer him my house and official residence as MP and I hope he will avail of the offer."
Praising Hazare, the Pilibhit MP said his proposed agitation was a "pro-India initiative". He said Hazare "is not just a man. He is a movement, a way towards honesty and accountability, a way towards a clean and prosperous India."
While the BJP had supported Hazare's earlier campaign at Jantar Mantar, it did not agree with many of the suggestions made by his team in their version of the Jan Lokpal Bill. For instance, it did not favour inclusion of the higher judiciary under the ambit of the Lokpal.
At the same time, the BJP opposed the Bill introduced by the government mainly because it excluded the Prime Minister from its ambit. The main Opposition party had also argued that the selection of the Lokpal panel, as proposed in the Bill, was loaded in favour of the government, and slammed the suggested eligibility criteria and removal mechanism.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it