Vasant Vihar residents have a problem with Metro-III station
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Already struggling with the authorities over the Rao Tula Ram flyover, the residents of Vasant Vihar have also taken their fight over the proposed Metro station in the area to the next level.
The dispute over the location of the station has been going on for more than a year, with residents claiming that the site chosen by Metro falls within residential zone. Now, the area residents' welfare association has sought intervention of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
On the sidelines of their meeting over the RTR flyover on Wednesday, the association members also discussed with Dikshit the relocation of the proposed Metro station.
"We have been trying to approach the DMRC for over a year to consider an alternative location of the (proposed) Vasant Vihar Metro station. After our protests, we were assured that our suggestions would be considered. Around 20-30 letters have been written to them, but they have not responded to our concerns. So, we approached the Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Union Ministry of Urban Development," RWA president Gautam Vohra said.
The DMRC said while it's looking at residents' suggestions, "the alignment of the corridor does not permit the station to be relocated".
The RWA raised a red flag over the location of the proposed underground Metro station in May last year, when the Delhi Metro Rail corporation (DMRC) made a presentation to the residents.
The association claims that the site is within residential area and must be shifted. It lies close to F-Block, CBI Colony and Indian Airlines Colony. On September 4, the Metro sub-committee of the RWA had written to Dikshit with the same demand.
The Vasant Vihar station is part of Janakpuri (West)-Kalindi Kunj corridor of Phase-III. Due to the protests, Metro has not given out the contract for construction of the station.
- I will protest against Arvind Kejriwal if he indulges in wrongdoing: AnnaÂ Hazare
- Amit Shah not named in supplementary chargesheet filed by CBI in Ishrat Jahan fake encounterÂ case
- Narendra Modiâ€™s Kolkata rally â€˜okayâ€™, crowd only 50,000 : VarunÂ Gandhi
- Stop personal attacks, Rahul tells spokespersons | The Indian Express