Vayalar Ravi moots death-for-rape ordinance
- 'AAP has become a Khap Panchayat,' says Prashant Bhushan after expulsion from party
- Maneka Gandhi calls for nation-wide ban on cow, buffalo slaughter
- Venkaiah Naidu is Modi govt’s defence against Rahul Gandhi
- ‘Quiet’ Ankit came to play just two overs before fatal collision
- After 56-day absence, Rahul Gandhi makes comeback in Parliament
Sources said the Cabinet felt that concrete measures must be taken to instill confidence among women in the city.
At her meeting with Shinde, Dikshit asked him to ensure that the Police Commissioner, the Lt Governor and the Home Ministry to immediately put a mechanism to prevent occurrence of such incidents in the capital.
Since the confidence in law and order machinery is shaken, she said, steps must be taken for restoration of the same.
"There is a need to set up a Police Complaint Authority to look into complaints against personnel. There is also a need for fast track courts for time-bound disposal of cases," she told Shinde.
Dikshit also demanded that strict and immediate action should be taken against officers and personnel responsible for dereliction of duty in connection with the Sunday gangrape.
Police should be made accountable and responsive, she said.