V-Cs of state varsities meet, propose opening of new ones
- Arvind Kejriwal to launch AAP's Lok Sabha poll campaign from Haryana today
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
A conference of vice-chancellors of state universities, held here on Wednesday, recommended that their term should be increased from three years to five years. Governor B L Joshi, who is also chancellor of the universities in the state, presided over the meeting.
Discussions were held on various academic, administrative and financial issues related to universities. Since each of the state universities has over 200 to 300 colleges affiliated to it and over 2 lakh students studying in them, opening of more universities was suggested.
In order to improve the quality of education, discussions were held for adopting common syllabi in 50 subjects across the state universities for the academic year 2013-14. Common syllabi for over 67 subjects are being prepared by committees formed for this purpose at state level.
Further, the proposal to give universities the power to approve affiliation of college was also made in the meeting. "As of now, the approval for affiliation of a college to a university is done by the state government, which takes a lot of time. This causes a delay in classes and students have to appear for examination without completing the course in class rooms. If the power for affiliation is given to universities, it would cut down the time and regularise classes in the affiliated colleges," said G B Patnaik, Principal Secretary to the Governor and vice-chancellor of Lucknow University.
The Government of India has recommended that one or two of the state universities be developed to the standards of national university. Recommendations were made to develop at least one department of each university which is already doing standard research in a field, as a centre of excellence and additional funds be granted to these universities. Discussions were also held on opening a university only for the purpose of research.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Government blames BJP for delay in passage of Telangana bill in Rajya Sabha, may extend Parliament session
- Dhoni, do you believe you can win abroad? | The Indian Express
- ‘Troop movement should’ve been avoided if they knew (V K Singh’s) court date’