Verdict on 'Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega'
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
What is it about? NDTV Imagine declares Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega to be the second season of their Swayamvar franchise. In the first, they had drama queen Rakhi Sawant choose her prospective bridegroom, by putting all claimants through a series of 'tasks' to test their compatibility with her. This time around, Rahul Mahajan, the now-popular son of the late BJP politician Pramod Mahajan, has donned a dressy sherwani and is going through a roster of 15 prospective brides to ultimately choose a life partner.
Who's in it? Mahajan, whose television career kicked off with Bigg Boss Season 2, has along with the production team of the show, handpicked these 15 contestants out of the 9,000 applicants eager to marry him. Television star Ram Kapoor, who also hosted the first season, is back as the matchmaker. During the course of the show, other minor celebrities will also come as guests to help the would-be groom make up his mind about his life partner. For example, Sambhavna Seth, Mahajan's fellow-inmate in the Bigg Boss house, recently paid a visit to the sets as his sister and screened the various girls to fit the role of her sister-in-law.
What's hot? Most reality shows survive on shock value and Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega provides it in large dosesóbe it the 19-year-old Sonia Kour who behaves as if the world will end if Mahajan doesn't marry her or the diary entries of the participants to showcase their adulation and yearning for Mahajan within three days of having known him. And it works. Forget the TRPs; it is easy to get hooked to the show. How can one miss the programme when one knows that in the next episode the girls will probably rustle up their dream man's favourite dishes?
What's not? Sometimes, the mere sight of two overweight men in the same frame is unpalatable. Add to that 15 women bickering over Mahajan, and the mixture gets a bit too rich.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2