Verma papers: Antony quiet on MoD inaction, says CBI in charge of probe
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Terming the charges against arms dealer Abhishek Verma of fixing deals and getting access to secret documents as "serious", Defence Minister A K Antony said today that the matter is being "aggressively" probed by the CBI but refused to discuss details of the case or the investigation.
Antony also did not elaborate on why the Defence Ministry has not yet initiated an internal probe to find out the source and authenticity of the secret documents that have been sent to Indian investigative agencies by Verma's former business associate C Edmonds Allen, as reported by The Indian Express on July 14.
Instead, he shifted all responsibility to the CBI. "A few months ago, complaints reached us. It was serious. We quickly referred it to the CBI and they are inquiring aggressively," he said.
However, the CBI has registered only one case against Verma on an alleged deal with Rheinmetall to get it off the government's blacklist.
The other, more serious charge of leaking hundreds of secret documents has not yet been probed as the CBI has not been able to determine if the documents sent were classified. This information, sources said, can only be obtained if the Defence Ministry initiates a probe and advises the CBI to file a case.
Although the latest tranche of documents relating to all the current acquisition plans of the Air Force was sent to the ministry over a month ago, Antony said he did "not know" if they were genuine.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress