'Very average' Indian team lucky to have M S Dhoni: Geoffrey Boycott
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Indian cricket team is "very average" at the moment and is "lucky" to have a captain like Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who is coping the blame for "lack of quality in the side", feels former England skipper Geoffrey Boycott.
"...Do you judge captains on their win and loss ratio, or do you take into account or consideration the quality, or lack of quality, in his team? If you're thinking about India, there's a lack of quality at the moment, lack of quality seam bowling, lack of quality spin bowling, and in some cases your best players are beginning to retire after getting past their sell-by date. Aren't they?" Boycott told 'ESPNCricinfo'.
"(Rahul) Dravid and (VVS) Laxman are gone, (Sachin) Tendulkar hasn't got any runs recently, so is it his [Dhoni's] fault?," he asked.
"I don't think so. I don't judge people on the loss and win ratio of the team. You have to look at the team. You are damn lucky you've got M S Dhoni," he asserted.
Dhoni has been under severe scrutiny after the recent home Test debacle against England even though he has been in decent form personally.
Boycott said Dhoni has his limitations as a Test skipper but the Indians don't have a quality replacement at the moment.
"I think he is a brilliant one-day captain. Like a lot of people, I think he has good leadership skills of the players but, tactically, in Test matches, there's quite a bit to be desired. But you haven't got anybody else you can call upon," he explained.
"A nice set of lads, but in terms of other quality sides around the world, you are very average and you are not going to win with average teams. And the captains always get blamed.
Captains tend to get plaudits when the team wins, which I think is unfair," Boycott said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express