Vibrant Gujarat to go without ‘investment figures’
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The fact that turnout ratio of huge investment promises made in earlier five Vibrant Gujarat Global Investment Summits is not something that the state government can boast about, the sixth episode of this event will not see announcement in terms of investment pledge.
When project realisation rate of past five summits is said to be only in single digit against several thousand MoUs signed, this time the state government will ask only the interested business houses to furnish project details and scope of employment generation.
"At the end of the summit, we will have figures for number of proposed projects and the employment it can generate," said Principal Secretary Industries Maheshwar Sahu. When asked about amount of pledge investment, Sahu said, "There will be no such announcement."
Even Intention of Investment Form available on portal does not have a column for investment to be pledged. It ask only about company name, project details and employment scope.
The organisers also maintained that an intense scrutiny of all proposed projects will be done before they get selected. "Scrutiny to be done by senior officials of principal secretary level," said Sahu adding that it would be done in two levels - at the time of registration and after signing MoUs.
However, Sahu denied that change has anything to do with low rate turnout of MoUs. "I will only say that we have improved our scrutiny process."
In 2003, the inaugural year for the summit, saw 80 MoUs proposing investments of Rs 66,068 crore. It was over Rs 1 lakh crore and 226 MoUs in 2005, and further to 454 and Rs 4.65 lakh crore in 2007. The 2009 summit witnessed signing of 8,860 MoUs, while the investment proposed was of Rs 12.39 lakh crore. The last summit saw investment pledge of Rs 20 lakh crore from 7936 MoUs.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express