Victims coming forward with complaints
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- President not for executing Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, MHA disagrees
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
There has been a spurt in the number of reported sexual assault cases in Punjab following mass protest against the Delhi gangrape case, with many alleged victims coming forward with their complaints. Four such cases, including one against a police head constable, have been reported in Amritsar and Bathinda districts in the last two days.
A 20-year-old girl in Amritsar district's Ajnala town on Saturday lodged a complaint against a Punjab Police head constable, his wife and nephew, alleging that she was sexually assaulted in October on the pretext of giving her a job in the police department, the police said. Search is on to nab Kulwinder Singh, his wife Ranjit Kaur and nephew Gurcharan Singh, Amritsar (Rural) SSP Preetpal Singh Virk said.
Another rape case was reported in Bhindi Saida village in Amritsar district where the police arrested one person in the case. The girl alleged that two persons on December 23 forcibly took her to a secluded place and repeatedly raped her, keeping her captive till December 27. After returning home the girl narrated the incident to her family, following which, a case was registered and one of the accused, Manjit Singh, was arrested.
In Bathinda, a village head, Sukhdeep Singh, has been arrested after a 25-year-old girl lodged a complaint, alleging that he raped her for over five years, promising to marry her, the police said.
One more case was registered in Bathinda against three persons for allegedly gangraping a married woman in the district's Maisarkhana village. Reporting the incident which had occurred on October 20, the woman alleged that she was gangraped by Lila Singh and two others. All the three are absconding.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held