Vijay Diwas celebrated at National War Memorial
- Jaswant Singh expelled from BJP for six years
- Congressâs Imran Masood sent to jail; Rahul disapproves of Masood's alleged hate speech, says âthis is not the Cong wayâ
- Sabir Ali says he will file defamation case against Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, claims he is more popular
- I am proud of my 'RSS roots' says Modi, slams Rahul Gandhi
- March 29 Elections round up: Modi says Congress Mukht India, corruption free India; Sabir Ali files defamation case against Naqvi
Vijay Diwas was celebrated with pomp and fervour at the National War Memorial, Southern Command, Pune, on Monday. The day marks the splendid victory achieved by the Indian Armed Forces over Pakistan in the War of Liberation of Bangladesh in 1971.
"A wreath laying ceremony was conducted to pay homage to the brave soldiers, airmen, and sailors of the Indian forces who laid down their lives to protect the sovereignty and freedom of the nation. A number of senior serving and retired officers and JCO/OR attended the function and paid their tributes. Among them were Lt Gen (retd) HM Khanna, Air Marshal (retd) A R Gandhi, and Vice Admiral (retd) S S Byce. Homage was also paid by senior civilian officers and dignitaries along with Divisional Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh and Pune Mayor Chanchala Kodre. The final wreath was laid by Lt Gen Ashok Singh, General Officer Commanding- in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Southern Command.
Earlier in the day, children from Army Public School, Pune, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Southern Command, and Kendriya Vidyalaya, Army Area, presented patriotic songs to celebrate the occasion.
The event was attended by a number of serving and retired Armed Forces personnel, civilians and school children.