Vijay Diwas celebrated at National War Memorial
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Vijay Diwas was celebrated with pomp and fervour at the National War Memorial, Southern Command, Pune, on Monday. The day marks the splendid victory achieved by the Indian Armed Forces over Pakistan in the War of Liberation of Bangladesh in 1971.
"A wreath laying ceremony was conducted to pay homage to the brave soldiers, airmen, and sailors of the Indian forces who laid down their lives to protect the sovereignty and freedom of the nation. A number of senior serving and retired officers and JCO/OR attended the function and paid their tributes. Among them were Lt Gen (retd) HM Khanna, Air Marshal (retd) A R Gandhi, and Vice Admiral (retd) S S Byce. Homage was also paid by senior civilian officers and dignitaries along with Divisional Commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh and Pune Mayor Chanchala Kodre. The final wreath was laid by Lt Gen Ashok Singh, General Officer Commanding- in-Chief (GOC-in-C), Southern Command.
Earlier in the day, children from Army Public School, Pune, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Southern Command, and Kendriya Vidyalaya, Army Area, presented patriotic songs to celebrate the occasion.
The event was attended by a number of serving and retired Armed Forces personnel, civilians and school children.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid