Vijay Pratap Singh is laid to rest
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Besides family members and friends, people from different walks of life turned up to pay their last respects to Vijay Pratap Singh, The Indian Express senior reporter who succumbed to injuries received in a bomb attack outside a state minister's home in Allahabad.
His elder brother, Anil Kumar Singh, lit the funeral pyre at Rasoolabad Ghat, on the banks of the Ganga, here on Thursday.
Vijay, who would have turned 39 on July 30, is survived by his wife Shashi, five-year-old son Yash, and 10-month-old daughter Adya. Injured in a bomb blast outside Uttar Pradesh Minister Nand Gopal Nandi's house in Allahabad on July 12, Vijay died at the Army's Research and Referral Hospital in New Delhi on Tuesday.
His body was brought home on Thursday morning. Among those who turned up for the funeral were Higher Education Minister Rakesh Dhar Tripathi, BSP's Phulpur MP Kapil Muni Karwariya, former MP Dharamraj and MLAs Puja Pal and Pravin Patel.
Senior officials including Allahabad Commissioner P V Jagmohan, IG (Allahabad range) S K Singh, DM (Allahabad) Sanjay Prasad and DIG (Allahabad) Braj Bhushan were also present.