Vijender Singh took heroin 12 times, say cops, no sign aided smugglers
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- On Ambedkar Day, BJP says UPA favoured Muslims over Dalits
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route
- Manmohan Singh set to move out of 7, RCR a day before results
- Attack on teachers, medical staff: Maoists say sorry for âlapseâ
The Punjab Police Sunday claimed to have established that Olympic medalist Vijender Singh consumed heroin at least 12 times while his sparring partner Ram Singh took the drug five times.
A press communiqué issued by ADGP (Intelligence) Hardeep Singh Dhillon said the boxers got heroin from alleged smuggler Anoop Singh Kahlon and his associate Rocky for "personal consumption" between December 2012 and February 2013.
However, the police have not recovered any drugs from Ram Singh and Vijender and do not believe the two actively connived with the smugglers. "As such both of them are not being arrested at this stage," said the release, adding that Ram Singh had been dismissed from police as he frequently met the alleged smugglers.
Canada-based Kahlon alias Ruby and Rocky were arrested by the Fatehgarh Sahib police on March 3. Four days later, the police recovered drugs worth Rs 130 crore from Kahlon's house in Zirakpur.
According to the police, "consumption quantity" heroin was first procured by Ram Singh alone in December 2012. Subsequently, Vijender and he went together to Zirakpur near Mohali for the drug once in January and two times in February. "Vijender consumed the drug about 12 times and Ram Singh about five times," said the statement.
As The Sunday Express reported, police have details of calls between Vijender and Kahlon since August 2012.
About moving court for a directive to Vijender and Ram Singh to make themselves available for a hair test, the police said the matter had been examined by the deputy district attorney, Fatehgarh Sahib. "The local FSL unit has been moved to provide information as to which lab in the country can conduct the test appropriately," said the police.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi