Villagers to police: Arrest accused in 3 days or face stir
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
- Khobragadeâs help, husband cite âdifferencesâ, file for divorce
- President not for executing Bhullar, MHA disagrees
Uneasy calm prevails in Bhiwani district's Bond Kalan village even a week after of a fierce clash took place between the villagers and the Haryana Police over the murder of two brothers. The clash led a police station being torched, over a dozen vehicles damaged and four policemen receiving serious injuries.
Kolbir, a resident of the same village with a criminal past had shot dead brothers Kuldeep and Rajender, when they refused to give him foodgrain. Though the police had arrested three out of the five accused — all brothers — in the case, Kolbir continues to be at large.
In a meeting held on Tuesday, the panchayat decided to give three more days to the police to arrest Kolbir, failing which, they will launch a massive agitation against the force. Haryana Housing and Cooperation Minister Satpal Sangwan, Bhiwani Deputy Commissioner Ashok Meena and SP Simardeep Singh were also invited for the meeting.
Puran Chand, a former sarpanch of the village, said: "We have given another three days to the police to arrest Kolbir. The DC and SP have assured us that they will arrest Kolbir before November 23. In case they fail, we will launch a massive agitation against the police."
Assuring the victims' families and the villagers of prompt action and speedy justice, Sangwan also announced that the state government will provide government jobs one relative from both the deceaseds' families, depending on their qualifications.
Among the three arrested, Pawan and Nakul — who were found in Madhya Pradesh — were produced before a court on Tuesday and sent to police custody. Their brother Parvesh has already been sent to police custody till November 23.
"Various police teams are conducting combing operations in villages and fields of Bhiwani and nearby areas to arrest Kolbir. Haryana director general of police has already announced a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh on Kolbir's arrest. Pamphlets bearing Kolbir's pictures and the mention of reward money have already been distributed in the district and nearby areas," a senior police officer said.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express