Vintage car rally dazzles city
- LIVE: Our ties as ancient as history, PM tells members of Afghan parliament
- Nigeria: Gas tanker truck fire kills more than 100 people
- PM Modi signs deal with Russia to ‘Make in India’ n-reactor parts, 226 helicopters
- Seventh pay panel: Delay salary hikes, 5 states tell Centre
- Mob doused house with kerosene, warned us: Dadri victim’s daughter
On Sunday, Hotel Radisson premises displayed all the luxury and grandeur of post-Victorian era for five hours, thanks to the vintage car and bike rally organised by the Vintage and Classic Car Club of India (VCCCI). From Lord Mountbatten's car to Rishi Kapoor's bike in Hindi flick Bobby, all were part of the the Sunday's rally with over 200 people witnessing the event.
"The event was organised to make the younger generation aware of the great history of cars and bikes that we have in our country. The event also highlights the passion and dedication with which these cars have been preserved and maintained," said Nitin Dossa, president, VCCCI.
Yashvardhan Ruia's 1947 royal black Rolls Royce (Silver Wraith) narrated the story of Indian independence.
"This car originally belonged to Lord Mountbatten. After independence, this was used as Pt Jawaharlal Nehru's official vehicle," said Ruia. "There is a saying that vintage car owners' wives are always jealous of their husband's cars. In my case too, it is the same," confessed Ruia.
Minoo Nariman Fitter, 76, from Mumbai drove his 1960 Vespa Piaggo Italy all the way from Mumbai to Pune to take part in the event.
"I have driven the vehicle to various places like Aurangabad, Ooty and Mysore. My car has never given me any problem," said Fitter who doesn't venture into vintage cars as he thinks if he does so it will like betraying his first love, bikes!
The motorcycle ridden by Rishi Kapoor in the cult film Bobby too was present in the rally. "Kapoor family is a great friend of ours. After the movie, they gave it to me. I also have a collection of vintage matchbox cars," said Subhash Sanas who also has a museum of vintage cars in Pune.
- Why so many students are at the mercy of the private sector
- Can the House deal with disruption instead of being held hostage to it?
- Romancing the jihad
- Diary item: A trip to Matintoli
- The court has misread the constitutional right to adult suffrage
- Rajya Sabha has failed in its role as a delaying chamber for unwise legislation