Violence erupts at India Gate, protesters teargassed
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Violence erupted at India Gate on Sunday when protesters pelted stones and fought a pitched battles using rods with the police which repeatedly lobbed teargas shells, resorted to use of water jets and used force to disperse the agitators. Amid reports that 'some elements' were inciting violence, clashes erupted for the second time within 90 minutes at around 2:30 pm when protesters pelted stones at the police which had barricaded Rajpath leading to Raisina Hills but the reason for the provocation could not be ascertained. At 3:15 pm again, the police lobbed teargas shells and used water jets after the protesters resorted to stone- pelting. Some protesters also used rods to attack policemen, eyewitnesses said.