Violence outside AU hostel
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
A group of students resorted to violence outside S P Jain hostel of Allahabad University (AU), during which a motorcycle was set on fire, in Colonelganj area on Wednesday. A case pertaining to rioting, mischief with fire and endangering personal safety has been registered at Colonelganj police station against 100 unidentified students on the basis of a complaint lodged by some students of Jain hostel.
There were reports that a student leader, active in one of the constituent colleges of the AU, could be involved. The police, however, said that the same was being verified.
The incident occurred at 12.30 pm outside S P Jain hostel. "Earlier, a student of the Muslim hostel had been thrashed by some students, allegedly living in Jain hostel, over some issue. In retaliation, a large group from the Muslim Hostel went to the Jain hostel and vandalised property today. A motorcycle parked just outside the hostel was also set afire," said Inspector (Incharge) Colonelganj, Dinesh Kumar Yadav.
He added that the owner of the motorcycle was yet to be identified. The situation was brought under control in about a couple of hours.
The student leader in question had been expelled from the hostel a few months ago, Proctor Professor Mata Amber Tiwari said.