Virk evading trial in disproportionate assets: Cops in court
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Claiming that the petition filed by S S Virk, in which, he has demanded a change of investigating officer in his case, has become infructuous, the Punjab government has apprised the Punjab and Haryana High Court that the investigation qua Virk is already over.
Alleging that the former Punjab director general of police (DGP), is evading the trial in a case of disproportionate assets, the Punjab Police, on Monday, filed a short affidavit in response to Virk's petition.
The state police also submitted that after the arrest of Sukhwinder Singh alias Sukhi, an alleged Khalistani Commando Force leader, the Crime Branch has been asked to investigate the cases pending against him.
Sukhi had been shown as dead in Punjab Police records for the last 20 years. While no longer an active terrorist, he had been working as a police informer for a long time. The police were aware of his "fake" death story but some top officers were allegedly part of the story that showed Sukhi was killed in a fake encounter.
While stating that there were nine cases pending against the former terrorist, the Punjab Police alleged that Sukhi was harboured by Virk. The former top officer's counsel, however, contested the claim and also contended that it was strange that the Punjab Police had no officer, without a taint, to investigate the disproportionate assets case against Virk.
The counsel added that even if the investigation, as claimed by the Police, qua Virk is over, it needs to be looked into as to why P S Umranangal, an officer against whom a case of fake encounter is pending, was appointed as the investigating officer in the case. He further contended that for reasons best known to the police, officers who have enquiries pending against them, are being hand picked in the case against Virk.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress