Vishnu overcomes stiff opening test
- Varun Gandhi hits back at cousin Priyanka over 'astray' remark, says she crossed 'lakshman rekha of decency'
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says 'toffee' has caught his fancy after 'balloon'
India's top-seed Vishnu Vardhan encountered opening round blues as he was taken the distance before putting it across unseeded compatriot Ashwin Vijayragavan in the first round singles match of the CCI-ITF Men's US$ 15,000 Tennis Tournament.
The Secundrabad-based Davis Cupper Vardhan the highest ATP ranked player at 272 in the draw, prevailed at 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 in two hours and 16 minutes, at the CCI Courts, Churchgate on Tuesday. Vardhan won the opening set, but after leading 5-4 in the second, he went off the boil and allowed his city-mate Vijayragavan to hold serve and draw level at 5-5. Having gained in confidence, Vjayragavan played with more determination to break Vardhan's serve in the next game before serving out for the set and force the decider. However, in the third, Vardhan was back to his normal self and an early break in the very second gamet was sufficient for him to close out the match
Results: Singles 1st round: 8-Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan (IND) bt Reid Carleton (IND) 4-1 (retired); 5-Saketh Myneni (IND) bt Neeraj Elangovan (IND) 6-2, 6-1; 7-Vijayant Malik (IND) bt William Kendall (USA) 6-4, 7-5; 2-Christopher Rungkat (INA) bt Siddharth Rawat (IND) 6-3, 6-1; Purav Raja (IND) bt Jatin Dahiya (IND) 6-1, 6-0; Mate Pavic (CRO) bt Rakshay Thakkar (IND) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2; 4-Liang-Chi Huang (TPE) bt N Vijay Sundar Prashanth 6-2, 6-7(2), 6-2; James Marsalek (GBR) bt Lakshit Sood (IND) 6-1, 6-2; 1-Vishnu Vardhan (IND) bt Ashwin Vijayragavan (IND) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3; Sebastian (AUT) bt Kaza Vinayak Sharma (IND) 6-0, 6-4; Mohit Mayur (IND) bt Peng Chih Hsueh (TPE) 6-3, 6-2;
Doubles 1st round: 1-Saket Myneni/Purav Raja (IND) bt Anvit Bendre/Tejas Chaukulkar (IND) 6-0, 6-4; Vijayant Malik/Sunil-Kumar Sipaeya (IND) bt Ajai Selvaraj/Ashwin Vijayragavan (IND) 6-2, 7-5; Kunal Anand/Ronak Manuja (IND) bt Neeraj Elangovan/Fariz Mohammed (IND) 7-5, 6-4; Mate Pavic/Nicolas Reissig (AUT) bt Sagar Ahuja/Lakshit Sood (IND) 6-2, 6-3.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi