'Vishwaroopam' running in theatres despite protests
- Narendra Modi new talking point in Tamil Nadu, but few say they will vote for him
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- Pratapgarh Dalits angry with Mayawati, Muslims feel âunsafeâ
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Modi's name
Actor-director Kamal Haasan's 'Vishwaroopam' continues to run in theatres in Kerala despite protests from a section of Muslim organisations, police sources said here today.
Adequate protection was being given for the screening of the movie which has been cleared by the Censor Board, the sources said.
However, movie shows were disrupted in some parts of Ernakulam, Idukki and Palakkad districts.
In Palakkad, pro-CPI (M) Democratic Youth Federation of India forced closure of all theatres after the screening of the movie was withdrawn from a theatre, saying no film would be allowed to screen if the Kamal Haasan film was withdrawn.
Muslim outfits like Social Democratic Party of India staged protests against the film across the state.
Kerala Film Exhibitors Association president V Mohanan said the film was successfully running in all centres where the police was giving protection. "In some theatres, the shows were disrupted," he said.
CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said that it would be better if the critics of the film left it to the people to see and judge the movie instead of clamouring for its ban.
The film was released in Kerala, where about 25 per cent of the population comprises Muslims, yesterday by the Cinema Exhibitors' Association and the Kerala State Film Development Corporation.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota