Vital issues on Metro yet to be addressed
- LIVE: Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken away for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
According to reports, the Central government has given green signal for Pune Metro and has asked Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) to submit final detailed project report with revised costing after approval from state government. At the outset, we would clarify that we are not against any transport system project (BRT, mono rail, metro). However, we have found from our study that DMRC report for Pune Metro has not addressed several vital issues that are area specific. It appears that the only aspect that DMRC has considered while deciding feasibility of elevated Metro on Vanaz -Ramwadi corridor is whether the metro columns and metro stations can be physically constructed at planned locations. These issues become important as the proposed elevated metro passes through developed areas and highly congested arterial roads of the city where further road widening is not possible and alternative roads for traffic diversion are also not available. This is bound to give rise to several serious problems. We and other groups, including experts, have been raising all such issues with PMC and subsequently with the state government for over three years. However, our demands have been ignored.
We have some straight questions for PMC:
1) As per DMRC report, the starting station for Metro has been planned at Paud Road kachara depot. With 'Shivshrushti' project approved at the depot site and area beyond being hilly with BDP reservation - Where and how will the main Metro station at the starting point be set up?
2) With the congested road from Paud phata to SNDT junction - flyover on one side and 100 metre highrise building coming up on the other leaving no scope for road widening - How will the Metro alignment with pillars on road be achieved in Paud phata junction area from police station to SNDT junction?
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students