VOTERS SPEAK: Ritu Dalmia
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Chef and Restaurateur
Constituency: Greater Kailash
Area: South Delhi
In the mid '90s, Dalmia began her food stint in Delhi with Mezzaluna in Haus Khas Village and introduced butter chicken-loving Delhiites to creamy pastas and stuffed ravioli. While her daring venture shut down soon, she got a mention whenever Italian food was spoken of. Eight years ago, she co-founded Diva, a popular stopover for Italian fare in GK, and followed it up with Le Café at Ravi Bajaj's showroom in GK, another cafe at The Italian Cultural Centre and is also a consulting chef for Divattra, the spa restaurant at The Ashoka.
On government's policies
"I am quite pro-government. A new excise law, similar to the one in Maharashtra, was in the talk of being implemented. It was quite nightmarish since it called for a state liquor tax and Maharashtra levies heavy taxes on foreign liquor imports. Along with a few other restaurateurs we met Sheila Dikshit and spoke to her about our apprehensions. She was very understanding."
On wine licensing
"We still follow laws that come down from the British; they need to be changed in accordance with the current scenario. I would be happy if there could be a possibility to source international wines for the wine cellar at Diva, without the tiresome paper works of licensing and excise duties."
"Most of us will unanimously agree that we deserve better infrastructure in the Capital. Braving the endless traffic snarls is exhausting."
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target against Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'