Wanted dacoit killed in Chitrakoot encounter
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
Dreaded dacoit Shiv Kumar Kol alias Hariya, who carried a reward of Rs 50,000 on his head, was killed in a joint operation of special task force (STF) and the Chitrakoot police in the ravines of Manikpur area of the district in the early hours of Friday.
ADG (Law & Order) AP Maheshwari said Kol had been a confidant of slain bandit Dadua and was heading the gang since the kingpin was killed in a similar encounter with the STF in Chitrakoot in 2007. Kol was wanted in 16 cases including those of kidnapping, murder and attempt to murder registered at different police stations of Chitrakoot while three cases were pending in Satna district of Madhya Pradesh.
The police recovered a .315 bore rifle and a double barrel gun from Kol's possession.
Late on Thursday night, the STF team asked police to conduct the joint operation after receiving the exact details about Kol's hideout in the thickets of Manikpur. The police teams laid a trap, however, the dacoits sensed their presence and fired at them.