Was at wedding in Aurangabad on day of German Bakery blast: Baig
Recording of Baig's statement concludes, judge puts 526 questions to him.
German Bakery blast suspect Mirza Himayat Inayat Baig on Friday claimed in the court of additional sessions judge N P Dhote that he was in Aurangabad to attend a wedding on February 13, 2010, the day the bomb went off at the Pune eatery.
Recording his statement, Baig told the court he did a DEd course in Pune in 2006 and in 2008 enrolled for a BA course at Poona College and had been scouting for a job in Udgir, Latur and Aurangabad. He said he had appeared for DEd CET exam in Latur and had gone to Latur to get some information about DEd CET on August 19, 2010, when he was arrested. "I was at the bus stop in Latur to return to my house in Beed when five to six persons approached me. Pointing a gun, they made me sit in their four-wheeler," he said. According to the ATS, Baig was arrested in Pune on September 7, 2010.
"I was brought to Mumbai and then to Pune ATS office after two days," he said. Baig claimed ATS officers Kadam and Sabnis took him to German Bakery to show him the blast site. He alleged the cops had threatened to book his family members as well and eliminate him.
He admitted he had had gone to Colombo. "In 2008, I came to know Indian goods have good market in some neighbouring countries. I had Rs 40,000 to Rs 50,000 with me. I purchased readymade garments and perfumes from Kharghar in Mumbai. I went to Chennai and from there to Colombo. I sold these items for a few days at Negombo beach in Colombo. But it did not earn me much... I also could not get a job in Colombo due to language hurdles. So I returned to India with the unsold items... I had the receipts of items purchased. ATS did not produce them in court."