Water from Bhandardara dam released for Jaikwadi
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Despite opposition from locals, the Irrigation Department on Thursday released three TMC water from Bhandardara dam in Ahmednagar district for Jayakwadi dam in Marathwada region, which is facing acute water crisis this year, Sub-Divisional Engineer Rajendra Shinde said.
The water, which was released at the instance of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan would reach Jayakwadi dam in about five days, he told reporters.
In all, 9 TMC water would be diverted to Jayakwadi dam of which three TMC was released from Mula dam on Wednesday and three TMC from Bhandardara on Thursday. The remaining was to be released from Darna dam on Thursday.
Meanwhile, former Shiv Sena MLA from Igatpuri, Kashinath Mengal, and MNS activists who protested the release of water from Darna dam were detained, police said.