Water from Bhandardara dam released for Jaikwadi
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
Despite opposition from locals, the Irrigation Department on Thursday released three TMC water from Bhandardara dam in Ahmednagar district for Jayakwadi dam in Marathwada region, which is facing acute water crisis this year, Sub-Divisional Engineer Rajendra Shinde said.
The water, which was released at the instance of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan would reach Jayakwadi dam in about five days, he told reporters.
In all, 9 TMC water would be diverted to Jayakwadi dam of which three TMC was released from Mula dam on Wednesday and three TMC from Bhandardara on Thursday. The remaining was to be released from Darna dam on Thursday.
Meanwhile, former Shiv Sena MLA from Igatpuri, Kashinath Mengal, and MNS activists who protested the release of water from Darna dam were detained, police said.