Water from Bhandardara dam released for Jaikwadi
- What signal is Obama administration sending by selling more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Make in India Week' in Mumbai
- JNU student leader held on ‘sedition’ charges over Afzal Guru event
- JNU arrests over Afzal Guru event are ill-judged, threatens basic rights
- Live updates from the David Headley deposition before Mumbai court
Despite opposition from locals, the Irrigation Department on Thursday released three TMC water from Bhandardara dam in Ahmednagar district for Jayakwadi dam in Marathwada region, which is facing acute water crisis this year, Sub-Divisional Engineer Rajendra Shinde said.
The water, which was released at the instance of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan would reach Jayakwadi dam in about five days, he told reporters.
In all, 9 TMC water would be diverted to Jayakwadi dam of which three TMC was released from Mula dam on Wednesday and three TMC from Bhandardara on Thursday. The remaining was to be released from Darna dam on Thursday.