Water resources secretary shifted
- Mulayam Singh Yadav questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra
Water resources secretary Devendra Shirke was shifted out of the department on Monday without a new posting. Giriraj replaces him.
Mantralaya sources said Shirke, executive director of Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation in 2008, had been asked to go on leave.
The Vadnere and Mendhegiri committees probing alleged irregularities in irrigation projects had named him and chief engineers M E Shaikh and G S Lokhande in its report. CM Prithviraj Chavan had recently ordered a fresh probe against the 45 officers named by the committees.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer of the state Debashish Chakrabarty will take over as the Housing Secretary. He replaces Gautam Chatterjee, who is on central deputation.
Azad Maidan riots: Raza Academy chief quizzed
Mumbai Crime Branch on Monday questioned Raza Academy's chief Maulana Moin Miya in connection with the Azad Maidan riots. Moin Miya was one of the 17 persons who shared the stage on August 14. He has been questioned by the police several times in the past. However, it was for the first time that he was officially summoned and his statement recorded on Monday.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi