Watson 'dooms' prospect as opener after confirming his No 4 batting role
- Real estate bill: BJP hits back at Rahul Gandhi, asks if he visited hail-affected farmers in Amethi
- Mumbai: Assistant sub-inspector shoots senior, self in Vakola police station
- Moga bus molestation: Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh orders Orbit buses off the road amid protests
- Three killed, 16 injured in accident at Harduaganj thermal station
- Amarnath Yatra: Nirmal Singh hits back at Geelani, says separatists have become 'irrelevant'
Australian all-rounder Shane Watson has confirmed that he will remain at the No 4 batting position for the first Test against India on Friday, dooming his prospect of returning as a Test opener in the squad. With an Ashes campaign on the horizon, there is a sentiment that a more aggressive Watson-Dave Warner alliance could trouble England given that Watson is statistically at his most proficient as an opener, News.com.au reports. Attempting to grow a consistent middle-order union with captain Michael Clarke, Watson, however, said that he will remain at the second drop for the near future, according to the wishes of Clarke and coach Mickey Arthur. According to Watson, he can understand why Clarke and Arthur did not want to break the continuity of him being in position for the last year, and added that he is experienced enough to bat either in the middle order or as an opener. Watson further said that he and Clarke are properly equipped to play significant roles in the series by batting in the middle order.