We are a democratic institution, not one-man show: AITA
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
AITA today dismissed Mahesh Bhupathi's allegation that the national federation is run by only one man and asserted that it was a "democratic" institution.
AITA's executive committee had last week imposed two-year bans on Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna for not abiding by the selection committee's decision ahead of the London Olympics.
But Bhupathi, in a scathing press conference yesterday in Mumbai, said it was AITA president Anil Khanna, who takes all the decision and hides behind the committees.
AITA today issued a press release on behalf of its executive committee members, who say that they were not stooges to Khanna.
According to the release the members felt that it is "an insult" to them who have been serving in the executive committee with commitment and "debate" each and every point on the agenda.
"This is far from being correct. AITA is most professionally managed organisation and has four Executive Directors who are well qualified to head the different departments of AITA.
"..Each of the Chairmen of the six Committees is a highly respected person with experience in Education, Government, Journalism and Administration.
"AITA is one of the most democratic institutions and has been headed between 2000-2012 by Mr Yashwant Sinha, MP, former Finance Minister and External Affairs Minister. The Life Presidents of AITA are Shri S M Krishna, External Affairs Minister and Shri Yashwant Sinha.
"The Vice Presidents of AITA includes very distinguished personalities who would not chose to be part of an organisation which is not transparent and democratic," an AITA release said.
The executive committee also stood by the decision to ban Bhupathi and Bopanna and said it was taken by a majority, and added that Khanna actually was in minority in this case.
"The Committee would also like to state that it has the highest respect for the tennis credentials of Mr Mahesh Bhupathi and Mr Rohan Bopanna but at the same time the Committee feels that the action taken under Rule 36 (a) (ii) is the correct action taken under the constitution to ensure discipline.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'